Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Nostalgia

I've had heavy yearnings lately for the Bible camp I used to work at. Summer is obviously surrounding me from all angles, and that makes me long more for those blessed years I had working in a Christ-centered community for a Christ-centered purpose. I know I have opportunities all around me to do that where I am now, but the atmosphere will never have that same feeling.
I miss the seclusion of being on summer staff in a "bubble" we would call it. 
That atmosphere was certainly a wonderful example of Christ's many parts working as one body. The support was always right next door and when something exciting happened, everyone in your "bubble" would share in that excitement. Same goes for those grieving times and hard times. My closest friends where those I made while working at PLCBC. Many of us have been married and in each others weddings, we still will make it a point to see each other if we're in town, and reminisce crazy times at camp - like the crazy flu that plowed through camp one year, and the memorable days  of camp life. 

Working with the kids and families that came in and out week after week was a whole other blessing within itself. Sitting and talking to families and kids during their time with you is such a priceless opportunity that I probably took for granted more than I know. I gained so much insight and advice on life from mothers, father, grandmothers and grandfathers. And when I was able to encourage a kid in my cabin, that showed me just how capable of God's work I am.

I can't express enough how much I grew while in staff a Portage Lake. I never would have pictured myself opening up as much as I have. I never pictured myself being an adult leader and example. But God has surely done amazing things in my life since my time there. I have now entered this new, amazing chapter in my life, however. I guess that means the next step is to be a family camper. =)
















Pin It

No comments: